Today, the most common diseases of civilization are defined by what are called “mismatch diseases”: the modern lifestyle is mismatched with the way our bodies were designed to function.
Here are the five biggest mismatches
- We were built for movement. However, today our lifestyle is mostly sedentary.
- We were designed for natural food nutrition with a lot of fiber in the diet. Today it’s just the opposite: most people eat highly refined food with very little fiber in the diet.
- We were designed for spending time in Nature. Today, too much time is spent indoors and on computers, video games and social media
- We were designed to be in community. However, pre- COVID, 80% of seniors were isolated at home. Once you factor in the coronavirus and its consequential social isolation and lockdown, the number of isolated seniors has rapidly increased.
- Our brain is designed for social behavior. The lack of face- to-face social engagement represents an underestimated health risk factor. [Read more here.] Please add a new page for additional text from blogs. SEE PDF article attached. From OJAI Valley Magazine FALL 2021.